- Rental Boilers
- Rental Chillers
- Used Equipment
- About PMI
- Steam Blog
Power Mechanical, Incorporated Company History
Founded in 1985 by Rick Reuter, Power Mechanical has grown from humble beginnings as a mechanical contractor start-up company to a national leader in the rental, sale, installation and service of steam and chilled water process solutions. Through persistence, faith and extreme work ethic, Power Mechanical has grown from four employees to nearly seventy without losing its focus on Christian ideals such as treating others how you would like to be treated, and working as though it were for God and not for man.
Family Owned & Operated
With a firm vision of growth and betterment, the second generation of Reuter family are now extremely active in the business with all three children (Ericka, Rochelle & Nick) working full time at the firm - and, on special occasions, Grandma Reuter answering the phone. Each Reuter family member has active roles in the organization:
- Rick Reuter - Owner and President: Starting from humble beginnings as a 16 year old shop cleaner at a small boiler repair company in Indianapolis, Indiana, Rick Reuter rapidly ascended the ranks of his previous employer. By age 20, Rick had become a certified welder, a master pipe fitter and experienced boilermaker. Rick managed crews of welders and was placed in charge of a large pipe fitting contract in Newport News, VA. As a young parent just 21 years of age, Rick felt the need to further advance himself and started his own business: Power Mechanical, Inc. Struggling to make it as a small start-up company, he noticed the need for portable boiler systems to be used during local boiler replacements and planned shutdowns. Rick built the first Power Mechanical rental boiler himself and has continued to expand his contracting and rental product lines to include chillers, cooling towers, heat exchangers, DX units and other industrial rental solutions. Rick is extremely active in his local community and is committed to the advancement of various organizations including the Special Olympics, Boys & Girls Club, and other philanthropic organizations.
- Sonja Reuter - Co-founder and Former Vice-President: As new parents, Sonja and Rick married at the young ages of 16 and 17. Holding nothing back, Sonja worked full-time as a new parent and took on the role of Vice-President at the newly formed Power Mechanical, Inc. Managing the office, handling bids and keeping a very close eye on cash flow at a start-up business was a grueling task but Sonja relentlessly poured herself into her work. After 20 years of dedicated, non-stop service to the organization, Sonja passed the torch to a full staff of office personnel and redirected her endless sums of energy to her true passion: making the world a better place. Sonja is now the head of multiple philanthropic organizations responsible for decreasing animal cruelty in America, rehabilitating disabled veterans, and giving disadvantaged youth the opportunity to advance themselves. Her selfless impact on the local, state and national community continues to grow.
- Ericka Reuter-McKellar - Project Manager, Rental Systems: Growing up with young parents giving everything they had to advance themselves and their family, Ericka was familiar with hard work from a very young age (Ask her about being picked up from school in the old dumptruck). She held a job through high school and broke through barriers to become the first member of the family to graduate from college. After receiving her diploma in marketing from Virginia Tech, Ericka returned to Power Mechanical for a full-time career. She now leads a team of office personnel and is the head of project management for Power Mechanical's extensive variety of rental projects. Ericka and her husband, Edward, have three amazing daughters - Madison (2010 Wee Miss Isle of Wight Pageant Queen), Ashland, and the newest addition to the family: Georgia, born November 2011.
- Rochelle Reuter-Stilson - Director of Safety & Training: From a young age, Rochelle displayed two extreme passions: academics and horses. Her passion for horses at a young age is the sole cause for the Reuter family's deep involvement in equine activities. The persistence she displayed in becoming a world-class equestrian was also displayed in her commitment to academics when she graduated with National Honor Society designations from high school. She went on to graduate with Honors from James Madison University with a degree in human resources, and returned to work full-time for Power Mechanical. Since joining Power Mechanical, she has championed a world-class training program for employees so that they may expand their knowledge in the boiler industry and advance their careers. She has also spearheaded a top notch safety program, which caused jobsite injuries to plummet within the organization. Rochelle is married to her husband, Wesley, and continues to show her compassion for animals through her active involvement in equine and Rottweiler rescue programs.
- Nick Reuter - Project Manager, Equipment Sales: Growing up, Nick showed a deep level of interest in the family business and always dreamed of the day when he would become an integral part of the Power Mechanical team. Throughout middle and high school, that passion continued to manifest itself with Nick even starting an internet-based used boiler marketing business at age 12. After graduating high school, he followed in the footsteps of his sisters and attended college, earning a degree in economics from The Florida State University. Since graduating, Nick has joined the Power Mechanical team full-time and has expanded the equipment sales division to an unprecedented level of success. Heading America's largest refurbished boiler and chiller sales organization, Nick has conducted business on multiple continents and continues to expand his influence within the industry.
- Our extended family - The Power Mechanical team: The Reuter family is much larger than just the parents and children. It encompasses each of the Power Mechanical employees. We have had the honor of working with some of the most talented and dedicated people in the entire industry, and are thankful for their efforts daily. The Power Mechanical team consists of multiple people that began with us on the first day of operation, and have not slowed down since. For this we are thankful and proud to call them colleagues.